Things to do
Here’s a list of some of our favorite activities at Contigo Ranch and in the Texas Hill Country.
On The Ranch:
- Walks: Winding roads throughout the ranch allow you to take in the landscape while getting fresh air and exercise. We highly recommend a stroll down Lower Crabapple Road to encounter some of the best views in Texas.
- Trails: Throughout the ranch we’ve mowed several trails so guests can safely walk through the fields. Please reference our ranch map to find the trailheads and wear a sturdy pair of shoes to fully enjoy exploring the land.
- Biking: Pack your bikes for a fun way to get around our ranch! The Hill Country attracts cyclists from all over with its open roads, lush views, and challenging hills. If you’re a more casual cyclist, Lower Crabapple Rd is ideal for a beautiful, leisurely ride.
- Picnicking: The ranch boasts some of the most beautiful trees in Texas, which means we have endless picnic spots for our guests. Select a bottle of wine from one of our friends’ nearby wineries (Fredericksburg is Texas wine country after all!) and settle beneath the shade of our 300 year-old oak. Or, take a picnic up to The Bluff and enjoy the breeze. You can locate some of our favorite spots on your ranch map.
- Stargazing: There are few better places in the country to go stargazing than in the Texas Hill Country. Pack a blanket and flashlight, leave your phone behind, and out to get lost in the vast night sky.
- Fishing: Our Sunrise Pond is the perfect place for kids and adults alike to spend time fishing. We stock the lake with perch and bass but ask that you please respect our catch-and-release policy.
- Trap Shooting: Please email our staff to inquire about planning a trap shoot during your stay at the ranch.
- Wildlife Watching: During your stay, you’ll most likely encounter a variety of our bountiful wildlife including Axis and whitetail deer, cottontail rabbits, and red foxes. But, if you pack your binoculars you’ll get a closer look at some of our more shy neighbors such as porcupines, bobcats, and birds of all kinds.
- Relaxing: Our cabins and cottages all include a porch with rocking chairs. This is the perfect place to sit and watch the sunrise, catch up with a loved one, or read a book. Distractions are limited here– be prepared for lots of peace and quiet.
In the Surrounding Area